Western Rifle Shooters Association

Do not give in to Evil, but proceed ever more boldly against it

Friday, April 22, 2011

He Knows His Stockdale


From commenter Sean at this post:

Everybody I see and hear talking about the confusion and direction things are taking, and the various factions going at each other, reminded me of something.

I once led an infantry platoon. Not combat, but dress rehearsal for it in Germany, for nearly five yrs.

32 men and 1 officer.

There were 33 different takes on everthing from chow, to wiping your ass, to how to best engage armour, to women, to doctor appts, to maintenance, to every and each damn thing we were involved with, or might be. Sometimes it sounded like a deranged debating club. Add to that, each mans' personal, physical, and spiritual problems, and you've got a nuthouse waiting to explode.

I cannot adequately explain what a challenge this is to a platoon sgt. Anyone who has been one will tell you it is like herding hydrophobic cats in the dark with a 12volt cattle prod that shocks you, every other time you use it. Upbringing, drugs, crime, habits, values, no values, hate, love, and everything else gets thrown into the pot.

I had two jobs. Prepare these men for combat, and support/lead them in combat. All other considerations, including my own, have no value.

Mission, and Men. That's it.

That's what a leader does. Leads. Self is gone, and what's left is the job.

Find and kill the enemy, destroy his resources, negate his ability to make war.

Being a good leader lost me my wife and children, what meant the most to me in life.

So I want all the infighters and syncophants, and keyboard kommandos to understand. If you go for this, expect to lose everything and everybody that matters to you in this world including your life. It will be confusing, intolerable, hard,  hungry, diseased, despised, thankless, and unprincipled.

Should you stagger out to the other side, victorious, or otherwise, you will not be who you were, in any way. Your remaining days will be painful, difficult, and short.

If you want it bad enough. That will be your reward.

You will be free.

You will also have freed a lot of people who did not lift a finger to help, and who are ungrateful.

I don't suppose many remember Rogers of Rogers Rangers, dying alone, sick, and in abject poverty, not a long time after the cheering stopped. Yet we do remember him as great and mighty man. I wonder often, how he felt about it, hungry, desititute, and unloved.

Let all understand.

You're not going to get rich, famous, or laid by the Prom Queen, when you go up against IT. Your ass will be on the chopping block, and if all you lose is a little pride and a leg,or arm, health, you're lucky. Make up your minds, and get with the program, and forget all this scrapping.

The darkness comes, like a roaring lion, seeking all whom he may devour.

I put it all on the line before, and I'll do it again. I believe in principle, and in practice, get out of my way.

I ain't got time for any of this small change shit.

Victory.

Death will come anyway.

But Victory.

9 Comments:

Blogger Brock Townsend said...

Don't think it could have been said better.

April 22, 2011 at 5:01 AM  
Anonymous Kerodin said...

Damn well said.

Kerodin
III

April 22, 2011 at 5:18 AM  
Anonymous Witchwood said...

Excellent comment.

If you go for this, expect to lose everything and everybody that matters to you in this world including your life.

I've prepared my own mental exercise for when/if the shooting begins, and it is this: I expect to be the very first man killed. If I'm lucky enough to survive the first day, I will die on the second. Upon waking, I will say to myself "Today you will be killed." I will become a bridegroom of death.

We cannot afford to hold anything back. We must commit ourselves totally. Our forebears had wives, families, property, lands, and wealth; they were willing to sacrifice all of these things to be free. If we are not so willing, we will certainly be destroyed.

April 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM  
Anonymous GardenSERF said...

All that's really left now is to agree on a vision. That's the hard part of the next step.

April 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo Zulu. That man knows his *ss from a hole in the ground.

April 22, 2011 at 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Brass said...

Victory won't be won by violence when the vast majority have no idea what freedom is. We're outnumbered hopelessly. It would involve "forcing them to be free," and that doesn't work. They will gang up on the person who goes back into the cave to free them. They like the cave and the puppet shows. Freedom frightens them. It's like trying to herd rabid cats, as you said. If they want freedom, they will seek it when they have been brutalized enough by the State. But you can't expect them to see your efforts as "helping" them.

However, the seed that falls to the ground and dies will bear fruit a hundredfold. That's what happened with Fr. Jerzy Popieluszko. He was a Catholic priest who was murdered by the Soviets in 1984, for speaking out for freedom. His pulped body was found in the water, and then pictures were taken to show the people what every State is always about. Brutal, unjust violence. His brutal murder galvanized the Solidarity movement. Like the executions of the participants in the Irish Easter Uprising of 1916, it drew the people together. It woke people up. People somewhat knew what "right" and "wrong" were in those days. Today? I'm not so sure.

Try to live free yourself until they've intruded so much that they've crossed your line in the sand. Freedom isn't a "movement": it's a personal choice.

April 22, 2011 at 2:50 PM  
Anonymous Jay Stang said...

I was a platoon sergeant for 120 Marines for 6 months before we went to Iraq and Kuwait, then 4 months into the deployment. It is everything the article says it is. I had to do everything from keep track of guys spread out all over Iraq to comforting a sobbing Lance Corporal because he found out his wife was cheating on him back home in San Diego. It was a hell of a ride, and an experience I will never forget.

April 22, 2011 at 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post. As an Army NCO for a few years, I can relate. As far as Major Rogers goes, it is my understanding that he cast his lot with the Brits when our Revolution started. Maybe, if this is true, this Tory got what he deserved.

April 22, 2011 at 6:44 PM  
Anonymous Pete said...

To Brass: One of the best comments I've ever read. It is about personal choice. At 73, and unable to run, I will die when they cross one of my lines in the sand. I can only hope that I can make it costly.

April 24, 2011 at 5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home